Written by attorney Thomas Victor Wallin

My Friends Has Been Arrested for California DUI, Now What?

Discovering that a friend or family member has been arrested for driving under the influence in California can be a stressful experience for everyone involved. Not surprisingly, most people don't know what to do or who to call.

Individuals who have been arrested for a California DUI are first taken for initial processing to the police station where the arrest occurred. If you are unsure where your loved one was arrested, you can check with VINELink, which provides information on offenders in custody. You can either use the Internet to search for information regarding the individual's custody status or call the local agency.

If you are unable to locate the individual you are looking for on VINELink, then you should check with local police agencies. Ask for the watch commander and he or she will be able to advise you if the person is in their custody. Be prepared to provide the individual's full name and date of birth.

Following a California DUI arrest, some individuals are released on their own recognizance (OR) after promising in writing that they will appear in court. Many DUI offenders, however, are not released from police custody until they have posted bail. In this case, you can post the bail amount yourself, or you can obtain a bail bond from a licensed bail bond agent. For more information on bail, please read our previous blog post available here.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo DUI email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer