Motorcycle Learner Permit
• If an applicant is at least 16 years old but less than 18 years old, the applicant must possess a full provisional license issued by the division. Parent or guardian’s signature is required.
• If an applicant is 18 years old or older, the applicant must possess a license issued by the division.
• The motorcycle learner permit authorizes a person to operate a motorcycle without passengers.
• If an applicant is less than 18 years old, the applicant must successfully complete the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course or the North Carolina Motorcycle Safety Education Program Basic Rider Course.
• The motorcycle learner permit is valid for 12 months and may be renewed for one additional six-month period.
• Required testing includes vision, traffic signs, and the motorcycle knowledge test.
Each driver license test must be passed separately. Applicants for a CDL Class A, B or C license should study the required chapters of the CDL Handbook.
Applicants for a motorcycle endorsement or motorcycle learner permit should study the Motorcycle Handbook.
The Motorcycle Handbook is available on the DMV website at www.ncdot.gov/dmv and at local driver license offices.