Skip to main content

Modifying Child Support

Posted by attorney Jeff Biddle

Throughout the course of parenthood, it is not uncommon for circumstances to change. Often, these changes may make you think that the child support you are receiving or paying should be adjusted.

Common reasons for requesting a modification of child support are:

Change in employment (for either parent)

Change in income (for either parent)

Loss of job



Changes in the cost of health insurance

Changes in other child expenses like daycare

Change in parenting time

Typically the court will not modify child support unless the change is at least 15%. Also, the modification will NOT be retroactive past the time that you file for modification. What this means is that if you file for modification today, you cannot request that the modification be effective a year ago because that is when you lost your job. The modification will be effective on the first day of the month AFTER you file and serve the modification.

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Recommended articles about Child support

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer