Written by attorney Brian B. Boal

Minor Traffic Infractions in El Paso County, CO

On a daily basis El Paso County processes more misdemeanor and traffic violations than any other county in Colorado. Due to the high caseload lawfully insured and registered motorists who were without current identification cards when stopped are typically permitted to resolve their tickets through an expedited process. If you are one of these individuals.

  1. Bring proof of current, valid automobile insurance and/or registration to court with you to your first appearance.

  2. Get in line.

  3. Upon reaching the clerk's desk, kindly present your ticket to the court staff member. Do not argue or attempt to make your case. Simply wait for the clerk to address you.

  4. The first question the clerk will likely ask is, "Do you have you current registration card or insurance card?"

  5. Hand the clerk your current proof of registration / insurance upon request.

  6. At this point the clerk will almost always dismiss your case (unless you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest). Boom! One court appearance and one court appearance only. Chalk it up to a trip downtown to see your local government at work for you!

Additional resources provided by the author

Contact an El Paso County attorney practicing in the area of traffic violations.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer