Written by attorney Ann Massey Badmus

MAVNI And Accelerated Naturalization (Expedited Citizenship) For Foreign Physicians

Foreign physicians who enter the MAVNI program as enlisted personnel or officers can apply for accelerated naturalization (also referred to as expedited citizenship). MAVNI participants must apply voluntarily for accelerated naturalization, by which they are able to move from non-immigrant visa or asylee/refugee/TPS status directly to citizenship, bypassing the lengthy Green Card process. The military is the only employer who can offer expedited citizenship and only military service members can naturalize without first obtaining a Green Card.

When MAVNI applicants seek accelerated naturalization through the military, they pay no fees for their application. However, foreign physicians and other medical professionals will be contractually obligated to fulfill either three years active duty or six years Select Reserve. Overall, a recruit has an eight-year contractual commitment to the military, including non-active service, and naturalization can be revoked if an applicant does not provide at least five years of honorable service.

Additional resources provided by the author

If you're a foreign medical graduate who wishes to practice medicine anywhere in the United States, the Badmus Law Firm can help you navigate the often complicated immigration process. You are invited to contact us at (469) 916-7900 or at [email protected]

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer