Written by attorney Ronald Walter Kim

Loss of Income


Loss of Income - wages or benefits that are lost due to injury from an accident.

As part of your injury settlement you are entitled to be reimbursed for lost income because of the accident and your resulting injuries. This will include the time you are unable to work at all and time that you miss because you are undergoing treatment for your injuries (i.e., doctor visits, physical therapy, radiology tests, etc.). To be reimbursed for lost income, you must be able to show two things:

• the time you missed from work because of your accident, and • how much money you would have made during the time you missed. The most effective way to prove lost wages is (1) obtain records or even a letter from your treating physician to show when and for how long you were taken off work; and (2) then obtain a letter from your employer stating the days you were absent and your hourly pay or salary at the time. However, if you are an independent contractor of self-employed, you may have to provide copies of your past tax returns. A Lawyer can help guide you through the process of a wage loss claim. They can advocate for you to get as much as possible on your claim. Insurance companies will often use their experience to limit the settlement amount, but you can counter the "experience advantage" with representation.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo personal injury email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer