Written by attorney Jennifer Renee Cochran

Life After Divorce: From Mrs. to Miss or Ms.

Life after Divorce: From Mrs. to Miss

If your final decree of divorce orders you to change your name, then you must! First, be sure to get a certified copy of the decree from the clerk. Then, start the process of notifying everyone of your name change. What need to be changed? Everything with your name, including but not limited to: - Your Social Security Card, - Your Driver's License, - Your Passport, - Voter's Registration Card, - Bank Accounts and Checks, - Vehicle Title & Registration, - Insurance Cards, - Credit Cards, - Email Accounts and Social Networking Sites (Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn), - Membership Cards.

Who needs to be notified? - Friends and Family, - Your Employer and Coworkers, - Credit Bureau, - Banks in which you have Accounts, - Creditors (Mortgage, Landlord, Credit Cards, Bank), - Insurance Company (Auto, Home, Life), - Voter Registration, - Post Office, - CPA (Tax Returns), - Telephone and Utility Companies, - 401K and Pension, - Anywhere you have a Membership - Gym, Library, etc.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer