1) The landlord may require the tenant to pay rent in advance for a future rent payment period. An example might be "first and last month's rent."
2) Advance rent is not the same as pre-paid rent.
3) Advance rent can be collected only if the lease is in writing.
1) Security Deposits are not the same as advance rent. It is just a security for the performance of the rent, and to prevent or pay for damages that a tenant may cause.
2) If the landlord does not take out a surety bond, then the landlord must hold the security deposit in a separate non-interest bearing or interest-bearing account in a Florida banking institution. The security deposit cannot be commingled with landlord's own money.
3) If the landlord wishes to commingle a security deposit with his personal or business account, the landlord must post a surety bond in the amount of the security deposit, or $50,000, whichever is less.
Return of Security Deposit
The landlord must return the security deposit plus accrued interest to the tenant when the lease is terminated. Security deposits must be refunded to tenants within 15 days of their vacating the premises.
The security deposit is abandoned if the landlord attempts to pay the security deposit back to the tenant, but cannot find the tenant.
Our Rating is calculated using information the lawyer has included on their profile in addition to the information we collect from state bar associations and other organizations that license legal professionals. Attorneys who claim their profiles and provide Avvo with more information tend to have a higher rating than those who do not.
What determines Avvo Rating?
Experience & background
Years licensed, work experience, education
Legal community recognition
Peer endorsements, associations, awards
Legal thought leadership
Publications, speaking engagements
This lawyer was disciplined by a state licensing authority in .
Disciplinary information may not be comprehensive, or updated. We recommend that you always check a lawyer's disciplinary status with their respective state bar association before hiring them.