Penalties and alternative solutions for DUI First Offense
1. Imprisonment, home incarceration and community service;
2. Monetary fine, DUI service fee and court costs;
3. Suspended driving privileges and hardship license; and
4. Alcohol or substance treatment program.
Penalties may be increased by aggravating circumstances and repeat offenses.
As with any criminal offense, the state has the burden of proving your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and only with evidence that was properly obtained. Evidence may be challenged on many grounds, for example:
1. Illegal stop;
3. Alcohol and drug testing, compliance with standards and regulations for field sobriety, breathalyzer, blood and urine tests;
4. Proof of your impairment and the legal limit;
5. Miranda rights - your right to remain silent;
6. Citizen tips; and
7. Stationary vehicles.