Written by attorney Justin Lee Williams

J-1 Physicians Guide to Practicing in the U.S.

Non-resident and non-citizen medical graduates must obtain legal permission to remain and/or practice medicine in the United States. The process to obtain such legal status begins with obtaining a J-1 Visa to train in a U.S. medical residency program and includes several subsequent options.

Additional resources provided by the author

These are just a few of the most common J-1 Visa waiver programs which allow physicians to waive the standard two-year home residence requirement of the J-1 visa. There are a few additional programs which have limited scope and application. If you would like more information on J-1 visas, visit the United States Department of State website. Please contact an attorney if you need or are looking for legal advice.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer