Skip to main content

How do I serve the divorce papers?

Posted by attorney Marie White

Personal service means someone over age 18 (not you) handing the divorce papers to the other party personally or leaving them at the house of his or her usual abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then resident therein. The papers cannot be dropped on the doorstep or stuffed in the mailbox. You can have anyone, including a professional process server, do this. If you have a nonprofessional do this, you must have him or her complete a Return of Service, which you will file with the court. Professional process servers have their own forms, which they will fill out and send to you after the job is done.

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.

Recommended articles about Divorce

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer