Skip to main content

In California, when driving, do I have to submit to a chemical test to find drugs and/or alcohol?

Yes, in California, you are required to submit to testing if requested by a peace officer. Since 1999, urine tests are no longer available unless:

  • The officer suspects you were driving under the influence of drugs or a combination of drugs and alcohol, or
  • Both the blood or breath tests are not available, or
  • You are a hemophiliac,or
  • You are taking anticoagulant medication in conjunction with a heart condition.

Rate this guide

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer