Written by attorney C. C. Abbott

Immigration: State Lists of BIA Approved Organizations and Representatives

It is not always financially possible to secure the services an experienced immigration attorney. If this is the case, there is the option of seeking the services of organizations within the community who assists immigrants with legal issues.

The BIA has set up a web site that is dedicated to providing updated information on the representatives and organizations that are allowed to provide immigration legal advice. This list is updated at least once a week to reflect changes in the available representatives. The list can be searched by a list by State that is then broken down into the State’s County .

If a person decides to seek immigration assistance from a organization or individual who states they are not a licensed attorney in the United States to check on this list to see if their name is provided. If the name is not provided, it is best to contact one of the organizations provided in the list for help. Many natarios will promise to fix immigration papers but will only steal the person’s money and make false promises. If you feel you have been wronged by a notario, you can contact your State Bar and follow the instructions to make an unauthorized practice of law (UPL) complaint against the notario or non-authorized legal representative

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer