Written by attorney Ryan Michael Reppucci

Immigration Medical Examination

Many applicants for adjustment of status are required to have a medical examination conducted by a civil surgeon who has been designated by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. If your immigration case requires a medical examination, please visit:\_type=CIV

Generally applicants filing for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident (LPR) must submit with their application a Form I-693. This form must be completed by a designated civil surgeon. This form is used for immigration purposes of reporting results of medical examinations to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The main purpose of the examination is to ensure that an applicant is not inadmissible to the United States on public health grounds.

Once an I-693 has been properly completed by appropriate personnel, it is required that the form be given back to you. The completed form will be provided to the applicant in a sealed envelope from the examining civil surgeon. If the envelope seal has been broken, do not accept the form and request delivery of the same in a sealed envelope.

Once the sealed envelope is in your possession, the applicant is required to submit the same to the USCIS. The sealed I-693 should be delivered to USCIS along with other required filings specific to your immigration matter.

Immigration itself does not require or charge a fee for the I-693 examination. However, fees will vary from providing physicians.

Finally, examination results are generally valid for a period of twelve (12) months. Therefore, an applying party should schedule their medical examination as close as possible to the time they plan to file for adjustment of status.

For more information on the I-693 medical examination or other immigration issues, contact an experienced immigration law attorney or the experienced Phoenix, Arizona based Immigration law firm of Ariano & Reppucci, PLLC.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer