Written by attorney Mary Elizabeth King

If my spouse owes back taxes before our marriage, will the IRS take my refund every year?

If your spouse owes back taxes prior to your marriage, then the IRS can take any refunds which come from married filing joint with your spouse. However, if you file married filing separately, then the IRS is not entitled to those refunds which would be attributable to your income.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer