Written by attorney Timothy W Durkin

I Lost My Job - Can I Modify My Child Support Order in Arizona?

Losing a job, taking a pay cut, or encountering unforeseen medical expenses are all appropriate reasons for parents to petition the court for a child support modification, if the modification will result in a 15% change to the existing support order. Former spouses who experience changes in their personal lives have a responsibility to make sure the court is aware of their current income or life situation. Parents often feel overwhelmed when their support orders do not reflect the actual and current circumstances in their life. They should therefore make the court aware of those circumstances and request a modification to alleviate the stress of an outdated support order.

Because a support order remains in effect as written unless it is modified by a subsequent court order, parents should consider contacting a family law attorney that can help them through the modification process.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer