Written by attorney Sean P DuBois

Hurt at a Friend's House: Premises Liability Claims

If you were injured at the residence of someone you know, this can be an awkward situation. On the one hand, you do not want to ask them for money and on the other hand, you might need money to pay the medical bills from your injury. This is a premises liabilty case.

Unfortunately, however, unless you file a premises liability claim, you might have to pay all your bills out of pocket, which is not fair if your friend, family member, or acquaintance has been negligent and caused your injury.

After seeking medical treatment, always the first step in a personal injury claim, you should discuss your situation with the other person. Explain tactfully that you are not filing a claim against them personally (in most cases) but you are filing a claim against their homeowners insurance policy. In some cases, where the person has significant assets and the injury is very serious, it might be necessary to pursue a claim against that person's personal assets, but in most cases, the worst that will happen is their homeowners' insurance premium might go up. But that alternative is preferable to having to pay all your own bills out of pocket.

A reasonable discussion will help relieve tension. In some cases, once the extent of the injuries are explain, the homeowner will be happy to help out through their insurance. And this might prevent further injuries in the future.

If your friend is being difficult about giving you the insurance information, however, you can always seek the help of an experienced premises liability attorney in your state. You should not have to suffer without treatment or worry about paying bills if your injury was caused by the actions or negligence of another. So while this can be an awkward situation, we encourage people to pursue claims against homeowners' insurance companies in the event of a premises liability claim.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer