Written by attorney Bobby Dale Barina

How to respond when your spouse files for divorc

How to respond when your spouse files for divorce

Some people know the divorce is being filed and have spoken with the spouse about it. They know what to expect. For the rest it seems to come out of the blue. Of course later they will recall seeing all the signs leading up to the divorce.

This guide is to provide some basic instructions so you can deal with the divorce.

When you get served there are a few steps that you must take to ensure you are prepared for your divorce.

  1. First, you must put aside the emotional shock and focus on dealing with the divorce. Next, the most important task is to ensure your children are not placed into the middle of your divorce.

  2. Next read the papers that you were served with closely. There may be court dates contained in the paperwork. Additionally there may be discovery request and orders in the paperwork.

  3. Then it is time to focus on what items to get.

A. Personal items

  1. Pictures of the family and the children’s pictures.

  2. Change all your email passwords as well as all social media passwords.

  3. Secure your jewelry.

  4. Get all old cell phones if you keep the old ones

  5. Secure your computer and backup the hard drive.

  6. Credit cards

B. Documents

  1. The Mortgage

  2. Phone records

  3. Cell phone records

  4. Bank records

  5. Credit card statements

  6. Retirement account records

  7. Investment account records

  8. Insurance policies and records

  9. Car title

  10. Boat title

  11. Motorcycle title

  12. Medical insurance

  13. Medical records

  14. Children’s school records

  15. Take pictures of all items in the house.

  16. Birth certificates (yours and the children’s)

  17. Passports (yours and the children’s)

  18. Pay stubs

  19. W-2s

  20. Make a budget that details income and expense so you can plan you live during the divorce process and afterwards. This is especially necessary if you are a spouse/parent that works in the home, and your spouse provides the income for the family.

  21. Meet with an attorney who specializes in family law. Go over all the details of your marriage with your attorney.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer