Written by attorney Lauren M Barnhart | Apr 27, 2016

How to respond if your ex-spouse stops making child or spousal support payments.

If your spouse stops making child or spousal support payments the first thing you what to do is determine, number one, if it’s child support and the state is currently enforcing the child support order you want to contact the state and see if there are other remedies available.

If the state does not have other remedies available then you would want to file with the courts so that they could enforce the child support.

If your spouse stops paying spousal support and you don’t have a child support order then your only option is to go back to the courts for enforcement provisions. So call an experienced family law attorney who can help you through this process because it’s fairly complicated.

Additional resources provided by the author

Rate this guide

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer