Written by attorney Peter Joseph Lamont

How to Request a New Court Date

What if you are representing yourself and you receive a notice from the court with a hearing/motion/trial date that you can’t make? You need to ask the court for more time or a different date. How do you do that? What’s the proper procedure?

  1. Write a letter to the court. Include: Who you are (plaintiff or defendant) The docket or case number The name of the case That you received a court date that you cannot make Your reason for requesting a change of date*

  2. Send a copy of your letter to your adversary

  3. Follow up with a telephone call a few days before your court date.

*Make sure your reason is important. You won’t get far if it’s that you just don’t want to miss your favorite TV show!

If you have any legal questions you want answers to just ask! As I always say, “There’s power in understanding the law.”

Click here to leave me a voice message: http://www.understandingthelawradio.c...

What’s pro se? Check out this video:

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer