Written by attorney Moses Apsan

How to replace your Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization

The Certificate of US Citizenship (form N-560 or N-561) is a document issued by the United States government as evidence of U.S. citizenship. Those who are eligible to apply for the United States Certificate of Citizenship include individuals who obtained U.S. citizenship while residing in the United States or individuals who were born outside the United States to U.S. citizens.

Specific details of eligibility include:

  • Your parents are U.S. citizens, but you were born abroad.
  • At least one of your parents became naturalized when you were under 18 years of age and met the special conditions of the law.

The Certificate of U.S. Naturalization (form N-550 or N-570) is a document issued by the United States government as proof of a person having obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization. The Certificate of U.S. Naturalization has been issued since October 1, 1991 by the USCIS, and prior to September 30, 1991 the Federal Courts and particular State Courts issued it. The United States Certificate of Naturalization is proof of an individual’s U.S. citizenship through naturalization.

Although the process of applying for a certificate of citizenship and certificate of naturalization is similar; the two documents are not the same. Both documents entitle the holder to full benefits of United States citizenship, including applying for a United States Passport. However, the application requirements are different.

Who should apply for a replacement certificate?

You should apply for a replacement certificate if your current certificate is lost, mutilated, or destroyed. You may also apply for a new certificate if after the issuance of your current certificate, your name has been legally changed either through court order or marriage or divorce.

How do I apply to replace my certificate?

Form N-565 is used to apply for a replacement certificate of citizenship or naturalization. It is filed in person or by mail with the local USCIS office having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

If you reside in AL, AR, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, SC, OK, PA, PR, RI, TN, TX, VA, VI, VT, WV

  • Submit your N-565 to the USCIS Texas Service Center at: DHS/USCISTexas Service CenterPO Box 851182Mesquite, TX 75185-1182

If you reside in AK, AZ, CA, CO, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, ND, OH, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI, WY

  • Submit your N-565 to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center at: DHS/USCISNebraska Service CenterPO Box 87565Lincoln, NE 68501-7565

The current fee is $345 payable to Department of Homeland Security, except there is no fee if you check block 2(d) or Part 2 of the form.

What If I am outside of the United States?

If you are outside the United States you must submit your application to a USCIS office in the United States and be willing to return to the U.S. to pick up the certificate.

You can find the form and additional filing instructions on the USCIS website.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer