How to Prepare for a Family Law Legal Consultation - Divorce
You need a family law attorney, but have no idea how to get started. In this Legal Guide, find out what information and documents you should have ready for the Family Law Consultation where the topic is Divorce.
Items that will be discussed at your Divorce Consultation:1. Name and birthday of the client's spouse.
2. Date of Marriage.
3. Place of Marriage.
4. Where did the client and their spouse last live as husband and wife?
5. Date the parties separated. If you have not separated yet, what are your plans regarding separation?
6. Reasons for seeking a divorce.
7. Are their children of the marriage? Are those children under the age of 18?
8. Who will be living in the community property home, if there is one?
9. Does the client have a reasonable fear that his or her spouse may harm them?
10. Does the client have a reasonable fear that his or her spouse may dispose of community property?
11. If there are children, what type of custody arrangement would fit your family best?
12. Is there a possibility of agreement prior to a hearing?
13. What assets and debts were amassed during the marriage?
14. Does this family have any special needs? (i.e. substance abuse, domestic violence, verbal abuse, special needs of the children, or any other specific needs)
Documents that will be helpful in a Divorce Consultation:1. Client's driver's license.
2. The consultation fee charged by the attorney.
3. Documents specifically requested by the attorney.
4. All court documents related to the case.
5. Documents evidencing the client's income and the income of the spouse.
6. Police reports, text messages, emails, Facebook posts, or any other documents which evidence issues in the parties' relationship.