How to Overcome a DUI Arrest
If you’ve been arrested for driving under the influence in California, you may have a lot on your plate:
· Court Appearances – to stand trial (if no plea bargains are arranged by a lawyer), and to hear to outcome of the case. The penalties for a California DUI may include jail time, fines of up to $1000, suspension of your driver’s license, probation, school or counseling and more.
· An Attendance at the California Department of Motor Vehicles – to determine if you will be allowed to drive on a valid license after 30 days following the arrest.
There are plenty of methods however to make the entire process easier, and the key is hiring the best DUI defense attorney, who understands the varied methods of rebutting a case.
What can defendants do?
Besides hiring an attorney, be sure to:
· Know your rights: Never admit to drinking and driving. There’s no requirement to do so. The only mandates are to identify yourself to the police officers.
· Ask a witness: if you’ve been locked up, and you make a phone call to a friend or family member, be sure to ask them to make note of your awareness and speech at the time.
· Ask for a sample: the chemical test may be required, but you can still ask the officer on duty to save a sample for future retesting by a lawyer. In addition, you can also ask to perform this chemical test at an independent medical facility, besides the county jail.
· Be proactive: ensure that all court dates and DMV appearances are attended on time. If you’re unable to attend due to other obligations like work, be sure to ask a DUI attorney to attend on your behalf.
Don’t panic: ask a well-respected lawyer how to defend the case.