Written by attorney Heather S Unger

How to modify your Oregon child custody agreement?

In order to modify a child custody, first you need to know which type of custody you have at the current time. You either will have joint legal custody or sole custody.

Sole custody to one or other of the parties is difficult to modify because you have to show that there’s been a substantial change in circumstances in the other parent’s ability to parent.Joint custody is easy to modify, essentially you just have to say you’re no longer okay with joint custody and then you would file a motion with the court that asks for a hearing on that limited issue.

Make sure to call an experienced family law attorney to help you through this process.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer