Written by attorney Angela Nicewonder

How to Get Your Child's Name Changed on a Birth Certificate

Oftentimes in family law, there are disputes in many areas regarding the child(ren). This can include the use of one parent's surname over the other. This guide will provide a brief yet sufficient overview of how to complete the process of changing the child's name on his or her birth certificate.

Additional resources provided by the author

If you need additional information on how to obtain any of the above documents you should visit the district clerk's website of the county in which the judgment took place, which can be put into any search engine. Additionally, the Texas Vital Statistics website includes an array of forms, including the one discussed above, should you have doubts as to whether this scenario applies to your situation and you feel you need a different form.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer