Written by attorney John Griffin Watts

How to fill out an answer form in Small Claims Court in Alabama

I'm not able to tell you what to do, but I can show you how to fill out this form when you're dealing with a debt collector who claims to own a debt that you owe.

You'll see 4 boxes on the form.

Box A says that you've been sued in the wrong county, and you actually live in ____________ County,

If that's the case for you, then you check that box and put the correct county in.

Box B says that you agree that you owe the plaintiff, and you owe everything they're suing you for.

This option will also have a warning that a judgment will be involved with this choice.

I would just wonder how you would know if the debt collector actually owns the debt you owe.

If you do know, then I'll let you use your judgment on that.

Box C says that you only owe some of what the plaintiff says you owe.

I just caution you to think about how you would know this.

If you do, then use your judgment on this.

Box D says that you don't owe the plaintiff any money. It then asks for more information and you can simply say something like "I don't owe the plaintiff any money and the Statute of Limitations has expired."

You can put whatever you want, but this is the information that people usually put..

Once you've checked a box, sign where it says, "Defendant/Attorney signature."

Then, I suggest scanning it or making copies of it.

Usually you'll want the original and two copies.

Send one to the collection lawyer.

Send the original to the courthouse and get the copy stamped as "filed."

Then scan in your stamped filed copy.

Hope this is helpful to you!

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer