Written by attorney Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

How to file Petition I-130 for Your Spouse When You are a US Citizen

Complete form I-130

Fill in EVERY question listed in petition. If a question does not apply to you, make sure you fill in N/A. Make sure you provide beneficiary's I-94 Number and Alien number if available even if beneficiairy is out of statuts. 2Provide documents

You will need to provide the following documents: A copy of your marriage certificate. If either you or your spouse were previously married, submit copies of documents showing that all prior marriages were legally terminated. A passport-style color photo of yourself and a passport-style color photo of your husband or wife, taken within 30 days of the date of this petition. The photos must have a white background and be glossy unretouched and not mounted. The dimensions of the full frontal facial image should be about 1 inch from the chin to top of the hair. Using pencil or felt pen, lightly print the name (and Alien Registration Number, if known) on the back of each photograph. A completed and signed Form G-325A, Biographic Information, for you and a Form G-325A for your husband or wife. Except for your name and signature you do not have to repeat on Form G-325A the information given on your Form I-130 petition. In addition to the required documentation listed above, you should submit one or more of the following types of documentation that may evidence that bona fides of your marriage: Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or a lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union. NOTE: If you married your husband or wife while your husband or wife was the subject of an exclusion, deportation, removal, or rescission proceeding (including judicial review of the decision in one of these proceedings), this evidence must be sufficient to establish the bona fides or your marriage by clear and convincing evidence.Any documents not originally written in English must be translated in English. Translator must certify under oath that they are well versed in both English and the language of origin. A copy of the foreign document must be submitted with the translation. 3Pay Appropriate Fees

The fees for filing form I-130 are $355.00 (US Dollars). Make the check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security if you live in the USA. Other applicants consult USCIS's website. 4Mail Application and Fees

If you are the petitioner and you reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, or Wyoming and you are filing only Form I-130, mail the petition to the USCIS Lockbox Facility. The address is as follows: USCIS P.O. Box 804625 Chicago, IL 60680-4107. If you are the petitioner and you reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, West Virginia, or District of Columbia and you are filing only Form I-130, mail the petition to the USCIS Lockbox Facility. The address is as follows: USCIS P.O. Box 804616 Chicago, IL 60680-4107.

Additional resources provided by the author

Additional Resources This guide is only for staightforward cases, if you have any immigration law issues, you should contact a competent attorney well versed in immigration law. Law Office of Guerline L. Laurore, P.C. Phone: (814) 260-0163 Fax: (814) 260-0093 Email: [email protected] Website:http:// DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an Attorney-Client relationship unless you have retained this office for legal representation.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer