Written by attorney Helen Clare Wallace

How to Change Your Name Through an Ohio Divorce

Many women want to get their maiden name, or a previous name, back after a divorce. In order to accomplish this, your Dayton divorce lawyer will request the name change in the intitial divorce proceedings. After the divorce is final, the Court will issue an entry, either separately or as part of the final decree, that restores the party to their maiden name. A certified copy of that Court order can then be used to change the name with the Social Security Administration, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, banks, 401k accounts, voter registration, etc.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer