Written by attorney Shandy Lynn Arguelles

How to change your name after a divorce in Louisiana

After divorce, a woman has the right to revert back to her maiden name, if she so chooses. This means that an ex-spouse cannot force you to revert back to your maiden name if you do not wish to do so.

If you wish to revert back to your maiden name after a divorce, you may use the divorce decree as proof of your legal name change in order to complete the name change process. Obtain several certified copies of the divorce decree. Ideally, the divorce decree will have specific language that you are reverting back to your maiden name; however, this language is not necessary.

Start with Primary Name Change Agencies such as the Social Security Administration, IRS, DMV, Passport and Voter Registration. After you finish with the Primary Agencies, change your name with Secondary Agencies. This includes your banking and financial institutions, health care, insurance providers, utilities and any other bills, credit cards, memberships and affiliations.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer