Written by attorney Randy Collins

How To Avoid Domestic Violence Self Incrimination

Whenever someone is arrested for a criminal offense, it’s very easy to come across as guilty – given high emotions and being flustered by the heat of a moment. Domestic violence is no different, and even if you deny this claim, whatever you say can be used against you in court. Everything is noted on a police report.

Domestic violence is one of the most common crimes committed in the State of California. It also has a high rate of false allegations. This is due to the fact that domestic violence usually involves just two parties alone, and it’s therefore easy to make a false claim about what transpired – with no eyewitnesses.

In other instances, accusers self-inflict wounds and blame the other party. If this has been the case, there’s still room for defense. In addition, you also have the right to remain silent and request an attorney if you’ve been arrested.

Contact a lawyer immediately to go over the scene, the circumstances, and the history of the accuser. Domestic violence may even be a matter of self defense, but you should need to speak to an attorney before providing any information to law enforcement.

While it’s also important to avoid giving out any incriminating information about the circumstance or case, defendants should also be careful against perjury. This carries its own set of penalties and fines.

A domestic violence attorney, such as MacGregor and Collins can work to prove a defendant’s innocence. This can be accomplished through several methods such as past communication, eyewitnesses, a motive for accusing the falsely accusing a partner and more. Domestic violence frequently stems from cases where a spouse or partner is going through family court cases for alimony, child support or child custody. The lawyers will dig to find out if such is the case. Call today at (949) 250-6097.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer