Written by attorney Guichard St. Surin

How do I get divorce by default in Florida?


A default will be issued if the other party did not respond within the 20-day period after being served. If the party was never served with the divorce or proceeding, then we would file an application for diligent search and have the court and put it in the publication via newspaper for four consecutive weeks. If the party still does not respond within that time period, then we petition the clerk to have a default issued. Once a default is issued, then we set the case for trial in front of the judge to have the judge issue the final judgment.

Additional resources provided by the author

At the Guardian Law Firm, we believe in the sanctity of marriage. It is our goal to provide you with as many resources to help salvage your marriage. If all else fails, we are here to help you facilitate the divorce process to establish long-term stability that minimizes the need for subsequent court action as well as the emotional drain on the parties and families. We strive to provide the best client service possible in a warm and welcoming environment. To that end, we place a high priority on detail, value, service, and communication, beginning with the initial consultation, and continuing even after the matter is resolved. We are committed to providing the kind of service and environment that we all want as consumers. With representation and the right attorneys in their corner, our clients will return to being the productive citizens and family members they have been and wanted to be again. We truly are here to serve the one. For more information, Please visit our website or schedule a consultation.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer