Skip to main content

How do I get a US visa for my Fiancé(e)?

Posted by attorney Wendy Whitt

Each year thousands of visas are issued to a fiancé(e) of a US citizen so that they may move to the US and be with their loved ones. To petition to bring your fiancé(e) to the US for marriage, you must file a Form I-129Fwith your regional USCIS Service Center.

Who can file the Form I-129F?

You may file this petition if :

  1. You are a US citizen; and

  2. You and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States, and are both free to marry, and have met in person within two years before your filing of this petition unless:

a. The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice; or

b. The requirement to personally meet your fiancé(e) would result in extreme hardship to you.

What documents do I need to prove that we can legally marry?

  1. Copies of evidence that you and your fiancé(e) have personally met within the last two years; or if you have never met within the last two years, a detailed explanation and evidence of the extreme hardship or customary, cultural or social practices that have prohibited your meeting; and

  2. Original statements from you and your fiancé(e) that you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent; and

  3. If either you or your fiancé(e) were married before, copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated.

Do I need any other documents?

Yes, you must also include:

  1. Completed and signed Form G-325A (Biographic Information) for you and a completed and signed Form G-325A for your fiancé(e); and

  2. A passport-style color photograph of yourself and a passport-style color photograph of your fiancé(e), with both photos taken within 30 days of the date of filing this petition. The photos must have a white background, be glossy, un-retouched and not mounted.

What is the filing fee?

The filing fee for a Form I-129F is $455.00.

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer