Written by attorney Mary J. Zogg

How do I get a divorce in Florida?

There are several choices when trying to determine how you may leave your lover. Some options include pre-suit mediation. This is when you and your spouse meet with a third party, neutral, or mediator who helps you resolve the issues of your case. If an agreement is reached, it is reduced to writing, signed by the parties, and filed with the court. It is then later made part of a final judgment of divorce. Simplified divorce is available only when you have no assets and no children in common with your spouse. It's a summary proceeding that obtains a final judgment of divorce rather quickly. Uncontested divorce is when you and your spouse are able to agree to all terms of your divorce. Your agreement is reduced to writing, signed by both parties, and filed with the court. It is later incorporated into a final judgment. If you are unable to agree to all terms, then you may file a contested, or litigated, divorce. This is where the court assists you in coming to terms for your divorce. It is where you ask a judge to tell his or her decision on the case. Another option is a collaborative divorce, which is a confidential, private process, in which a team, including lawyers, a mental health professional, and a financial neutral, look to help the spouses craft an arrangement that works best for the family.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer