Written by attorney Bettina Yanez

How Can I obtain a Name Change in Orange County California?

How Can I obtain a Name Change in Orange County California? ( Well, that depends on who’s name you are trying to change. The steps differ for an adult name change, an adult name change in the Safe At Home program, the name change of a minor child and for a name and gender change. This guide will focus on the name change of an adult.

First you will need to file a Petition for a Name Change- Form NC 100 in the Superior Court of the county where the person who wants to change their name lives. Make sure to read the instructions on the form and check all boxes that apply.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are a participant in the Safe At Home program pursuant to California Civil Code§1277(b) run by the Secretary of State for victims of domestic violence your present name and proposed new name can be kept confidential. If so make sure to read the special instructions on how to keep you name confidential on form NC-400.

Second, complete the attachment on the name of the person whose name is being changed Form NC-110;

Third, Complete an Order To Show Cause Form NC-130;

Fourth, Complete a Civil Case Cover Sheet Form CM-010

Fifth, these forms will need to be filed with the clerk of the court and a fee will be charged. Make two to three copies. If you can not afford to pay the fee you will need to request a fee waiver by completing the fee waiver packet consisting of an Application for Waiver of Court Fees Form FW-001, Information Sheet on Waiver Form-001 and Order on Application for Fee Waiver Form -003

File your name change documents at the Central Justice Center in Orange County which is located at:

Address: 700 W Civic Center Dr, Santa Ana, CA 92701

Phone: (714) 834-4676

Hours: Monday - Friday hours 8:00 am–4:00 pm

Self Help Hours on Friday until 3:00 p.m.

The clerk will provide a hearing date. Make sure you have at least six to eight week before your hearing date. This time will be needed because you will now need to take the sixth step which is to publish the Order to Show Cause in a newspaper of general circulation once a week for four consecutive weeks. The newspaper you select will publish and then file a proof of publication directly with the Superior Court.

(NOTE you do not need to publish if you are in witness protection or a participant in the Safe At Home Program and are a victim of sexual assault or domestic violence).

Seventh, attend your hearing and if there is no objection the court will grant your name change and sign the decree changing your name.

The final step will be to have the name changed on your birth certificate. This takes time and is done through the California Department of Health Services, Office of Vital Records located at MS5103, P.O. BOX 997410, Sacramento, CA 95899-7410, ( if these steps seem daunting you may hire an attorney to assist you in the process. If you are unable to publish before your hearing date the matter will not go forward and the court will continue your matter.

Additional resources provided by the author - Orange County Superior Court Website - California Department of Health Services, Office of Vital Records - Do I need an attorney to get a Name Change in Orange County California?

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer