Skip to main content

How can a DREAMer get a work permit?

Posted by attorney Joshoa Sutton

As an immigration attorney, I’ve met many young people who were brought to the United States when they were children and now that they have become young adults, they realize that something went wrong with their immigration status. Perhaps their parents didn’t bring them into the US correctly, or the parents didn’t renew their child’s visa before it expired.

The good news is that you can now get a 2-year work permit, get a drivers license, and a social security card. Through a new program called “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals" (DACA), you are generally eligible for the above benefits if you:

  • are under the age of 31;
  • entered the United States before age 16;
  • have lived continuously in the country for at least five years;
  • have not been convicted of a felony, a “significant" misdemeanor, or three other misdemeanors;
  • are currently in school, graduated from high school, earned a GED, or served in the military.

In order to apply for DACA, there are three forms to fill out and submit to USCIS, along with the accompanying filing fees:

  • Form I-821D, (Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)
  • Form I-765,(Application for Employment Authorization)
  • Form I-765WS, (Worksheet)
  • Filing Fees totaling $465, (which includes a $380 fee for the I-765 and an $85 biometric services fee)

Helpful information:

Form I-765WS (Worksheet) comprises of three parts:

Part 1: Applicant’s name Part 2: Applicant’s financial information current annual income current annual expenses current value of assets Part 3: Space to explain your financial information.

Do You Need to Hire An Immigration Attorney?

While it is not mandatory for you to hire an immigration attorney to help you with your DACA applications, it might be the best option for you. An experienced immigration attorney can help you ensure that you’ve answered all the application questions correctly, all forms are complete and properly filled out, and most importantly, that you have included ALL the proof/evidence that the government would need to approve your application.

Immigration attorneys are trained to examine the type, quality, and totality of your evidence to make sure that you will send in the best application possible. If your evidence is lacking in a particular area, or you are just unable to provide certain documents, we will help you identify other evidence you can submit. Call us at (786) 908-8612, or e-mail us at so that we can help you submit the best application possible.

Additional resources provided by the author

To hire an immigration attorney, click:

The DACA application forms can be found at

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?