Frequently Asked Questions About Speeding in Virginia
This legal guide answers many frequently asked questions about Speeding in Virginia.
Do I Have to Go to Court?Drivers charged with Speeding in Virginia can pre-pay their tickets and avoid having to go to court. However, pre-paying the ticket for Speeding in Virginia is an admission of guilt and will result in a conviction on the offender's Virginia driving record, in addition to other penalties imposed.
What is the Fine for Speeding in Virginia?The fine for Speeding in Virginia is based on the driver's speed. It is usually $6 for every mile per hour over the speed limit the offender was driving, with a maximum fine of $250. There are increased fines for speeding in certain areas, including school crossing zones, residential areas, and highway work zones.
What Happens if I Don't Pay the Fine?Failure to pay the fine for Speeding in Virginia within 30 days of the conviction date can result in driver's license suspension by the DMV. Additionally, the fine can eventually be sent to collections.
Will the DMV Add Points to My Record for a Speeding Ticket?The Virginia DMV will automatically add points to an offender's Virginia driving record if he is convicted of Speeding in Virginia. The number of points are based on the driver's speed. Speeding 1-9 miles per hour over the speed limit will result in 3 DMV demerit points. Speeding 10-19 miles per hour over the speed limit will result in 4 DMV demerit points. Speeding more than 20 miles per hour over the speed limit will result in 6 DMV demerit points.
How Long Will a Speeding Ticket Stay on My Record?A conviction for Speeding in Virginia will remain on a driver's Virginia driving record for 5 years. However, if the driver is convicted of Reckless Driving by Speed, that conviction will remain on his driving record for 11 years and on his criminal record permanently.
Will My Car Insurance Go Up?Auto insurance premiums can increase if a driver is convicted of a traffic infraction in Virginia.
Additional resources provided by the author
- Virginia Speeding Tickets
- Fines for Speeding in Virginia
- Fine for Speeding in a School Crossing Zone in Virginia
- Fine for Speeding in a Residential Area in Virginia
- Fine for Speeding in a Work Zone in Virginia
- What are Virginia DMV Demerit Points?
- Virginia Speeding Ticket and DMV Points
- Virginia Reckless Driving Charge
- Do I Have to Go to Court for a Virginia Speeding Ticket?
- Can I Pre-Pay a Virginia Speeding Ticket?
- Failure to Pay Fines and Court Costs and Driver's License Suspension in Virginia
- Virginia Reckless Driving by Speed