Written by attorney Maj Vasigh

False Arrest and Police Misconduct Attorney in Hillsborough County Florida

Law enforcement officers are here to protect us. Most cops in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota, and nearby towns are genuinely hard working regular folks who put their lives on the line daily.

Unfortunately, there are bad apples in every bunch and law enforcement officers are no different. While it is true that the State of Florida has sovereign immunity for the actions of its employees, police misconduct, police brutality, and cases of discrimination by police can be brought pursuant to 42 U.S.C. Section 1983, originally a part of the Civil Rights Act.

Our nation’s civil rights laws are designed to protect us, the public from abuses by government. Civil rights laws allow attorney fees, compensatory damages for things like medical bills, and punitive damages as punishment for wrongdoing by the State.

Being found Not Guilty or getting the charges against you dismissed does not mean you have a claim. However, that is always the first step in the process.

Police are immune from 1983 lawsuits for the performance of their jobs unless willful, unreasonable conduct is proven. Simple negligence, (ie, deviating from the reasonable standard of performance expected from officers) isn’t good enough for a claim. Civil rights claims under 1983 occur when willful police acts that violate an individual's constitutional rights happen. For example, if an officer arrests, assaults, and strikes you in violation of your right to free speech, you may have a claim.

In order to win a civil rights claim in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, or Sarasota County, your Tampa Civil Rights attorney must prove that the actions of the police exceeded reasonable limits, violated the victim's constitutional rights, and produced injury or damages to the victim in some way (such as loss of job, medical bills, damage to reputation, etc).

If you think you’ve been a victim of police misconduct, and you are now charged with a crime, call Tampa Attorney Maj Vasigh from the law firm of MAJ VASIGH, PA to fight on your behalf now. Together, you will develop a plan of attack to fight and beat the criminal charge, then endeavor to file a civil rights claim in Federal Court in the Middle District of Florida. If you believe you may have had your rights violated:

1- Immediately write down what happened exactly how you remember it.

2- Track down witnesses and obtain their names and contact information

3- Preserve any evidence such as broken windows or torn clothes

4- Take pictures of all bruises, wounds, and evidence of violence

5- Contact the law firm of MAJ VASIGH, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY to get your case started.

The Tampa Police Department is notorious for getting away with frequent civil rights violations. They do it so often, officers don’t even realize they’re acting unlawfully. Attorney Maj Vasigh has first hand knowledge of what it’s like behind the scenes. Call (813) 800-1111 now for a no-cost consultation to determine whether you have a case.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer