Written by attorney Carrie S. Schormann

Estate Planning for Your College Bound Children

If you are like most parents with college-bound children, the last thing on your mind is estate planning. You may be sad to see your baby leave for college, or you may be dismantling their room so you can have your own space. You may also be lamenting the fact that you have to stalk them on Facebook just to know if they are ok.

But what would you do if your child became incapacitated while he or she was at school? Now that he or she is 18, you do not have access to their financial accounts unless you are a co-owner. You may not be able to get access to their medical records (thanks to HIPAA). If your child handles their finances online, you may not even see copies of statements and bills unless you have access to their online accounts.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer