E560 1. Police can't detain occupants on noise complaint 2. Guilty finding vacated
In this Issue: Recent Cases: 1. Police can't detain occupants on noise complaint 2. Guilty finding vacated based on state failure to provide evidence 3. May events 4. New Jersey Super Lawyers 2020 5. Office space for rent 6. Charity Running Races
1. Police can't detain occupants on noise complaint. State v ChisumOnce the renter of the motel room lowered the volume of the music and the police declined to issue summonses, the police no longer had any reasonable suspicion that would justify the continued detention of the room's occupants. Once the noise was abated, the police no longer had an independent basis to detain the occupants, or a basis to run warrant checks on them. Such action was unlawful. And because the detention and warrant checks were unlawful, the subsequent pat down of Woodard was also improper. The judgment of the Appellate Division is therefore reversed, and the matter is remanded to the trial court for the withdrawal of defendants' guilty pleas and further proceedings. (A-35-17/A-36-17; 079823/079835)
2. Guilty finding vacated based on state failure to provide evidence. State v. BrownThe State's failure to produce nineteen discovery items until one week after the beginning of defendants' murder trial did violate defendants' due process rights under Brady. The Court reaches this conclusion, in part, because the trial court abused its discretion by excluding admissible impeachment and exculpatory evidence withheld by the State. Though there is no evidence or allegation that the State acted in bad faith or intentionally in failing to timely produce the discoverable material, the Court nonetheless vacates defendants' convictions and remands for a new trial because defendants were deprived of a fair trial. A-23-17/A-24-17; 079553/079556)
3. May EventsMay 13, 2019 Woodbridge Library; Wills, Estate Planning & Probate Seminar at 7pm
WILLS & ESTATE ADMINISTRATION-PROTECT YOUR FAMILY AND MAKE PLANNING EASY Free program open to the public, you do not need to be a Township resident to attend
May 15, 2019 Municipal Court 101 NJSBA Annual Meeting?
4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. - Central Ballroom A/B Wednesday
Borgata Hotel 1 Borgata Way, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Speakers: Kenneth A. Vercammen, Esq., Past Chief
Joshua H. Reinitz, Esq., Chair, Section
Hon. Ashlie C. Gibbons J.M.C., Newark Municipal Court
Hon. Harry D. Norton Jr., J.M.C., Pascack Joint Municipal Court
Ronald P. Mondello, Esq.,?
Gracia Montilus, Esq., GRM Legal Works, LLC
Peter H. Lederman, Esq.,?
This is an introduction to municipal court for recently admitted attorneys or for anyone who is new to the practice area or wants a refresher. Experienced practitioners and judges will discuss important procedures, practical information and practice tips.
4. 2020 SuperLawyerThe selection process for 2020 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars is underway. Attorneys canmake peer nominations by July 26, 2019. Help Super Lawyers create a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of outstanding attorneys by nominating those excellent lawyers you have seen in action. When you nominate your peers, our research team will also review your own practice information.
The nomination process is merely the first step in our research process, and nominations do not necessarily result in selection.
After the creation of the candidate pool, the research department evaluates each candidate based upon 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Finally, candidates are evaluated by peers via the Blue Ribbon Panel.
In April 2020, selected attorneys who have data verified will be published in:
New Jersey Super Lawyers Magazine
New Jersey Monthly
The attorney directory on?www.SuperLawyers.com
5. Office space for rentPROFESSIONAL OFFICE SPACE IS AVAILABLE IN EDISON LAW OFFICE
2053 Woodbridge Ave.
Edison, NJ 08817
Excellent space for an Attorney, Financial Planners, Accountant, Insurance Agents, and other Business Professionals as a 2nd location or location to meet clients in Edison.
The offices are located on the 1st floor of the building.
2 rooms office?
office room # 6 approx 12.4 x 9.4?
and front room appr 8 x 9 -office room # 5
plus use of reception room 16.6 x 7.2
and use of storage area in basement
Previously used by Robert Blackman, late former Judge and Prosecutor of Edison?
$500 per month [was $600]
6. Charity Running Races5/11/19 Step Up for the Arc 5k Sat 9:00am Oak Ridge Park in Clark....
5/19/19 NJ Sharing Network 5k Long Branch 8:30 Sunday
05/19/19 President's Cup 5K, 4:00pm, Millburn, (s#051)(NBGP-700pts) USATF NJ OPEN MEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP Sunday PRESIDENT'S CUP 5k, Millburn
Additional resources provided by the authorPlease help us with a review on Google:
Recommend us on Facebook:
Endorsing us on Linkedin:
Help by writing a Review on AVVO:
Help us with a review on Yelp:
KENNETH VERCAMMEN & ASSOCIATES, PC
ATTORNEY AT LAW
2053 Woodbridge Ave.
Edison, NJ 08817