Written by attorney Jonathan Andrew Paul

Domestic Violence Livingston County Attorney DV Charges Howell Brighton Pinckney - Reader Geddis

If you're charged with domestic violence in Michigan, you've already spent a night in jail, and you'd agree that you do not want to go back. Assuming you've posted bail, there is a good chance that you will not be returning for the case. Most DV cases in Michigan for first time offenders do not result in jail sentences. If you have priors for domestic violence, or violate your bond or your eventual probation then yes you could go to jail.

Assuming you're a first offender, and you case is resolved with some sort of favorable dismissal outcome, you will be given probation and terms of that probation; avoid issues and you are not going to jail. If you win at trial or your case is dismissed then you would not be going back to jail.

A person commits domestic assault in Michigan by assaulting a current or former spouse, an individual with whom the person is or was in a dating relationship, an individual with whom the person has a child, or a current or former resident of the person’s household. Domestic assault in Michigan and domestic assault and battery are misdemeanors punishable by up to 93 days in jail and a $500 fine, if the person has no prior convictions for domestic violence crimes.

​If the assault involves neither a weapon nor the intent to murder but causes serious or aggravated injury, the person is subject to up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine. ​ If the person convicted of domestic assault or domestic assault and battery has a prior conviction for committing any of the following offenses against a current or former dating partner, current or former spouse, current or former household resident, or a co-parent, the new conviction may be punished by up to one year in prison or a $1,000 fine.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer