Skip to main content

Does my ex-husband have to continue to pay alimony if I am now living with another man?


Depends on several factors. The way alimony works in Florida is you have to show that there is a need for it, as well as an ability to pay. If you are now living in a supported relationship and your former spouse finds out about it, then they can petition the court for a modification. By a modification, if they show proof that you are now living in a supported relationship and that there is no longer a need for the alimony, the court may terminate it altogether or lower.

Additional resources provided by the author

At the Guardian Law Firm, we believe in the sanctity of marriage. It is our goal to provide you with as many resources to help salvage your marriage. If all else fails, we are here to help you facilitate the divorce process to establish long-term stability that minimizes the need for subsequent court action as well as the emotional drain on the parties and families.

We strive to provide the best client service possible in a warm and welcoming environment. To that end, we place a high priority on detail, value, service, and communication, beginning with the initial consultation, and continuing even after the matter is resolved.

We are committed to providing the kind of service and environment that we all want as consumers.

With representation and the right attorneys in their corner, our clients will return to being the productive citizens and family members they have been and wanted to be again.

We truly are here to serve the one.

For more information, Please visit our website or schedule a consultation.

Rate this guide

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.

Recommended articles about Divorce

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer