Written by Avvo Staff

Documents to include in your citizenship application

Review the list of additional documents you might need to file with Form N-400.

In addition to your completed form N-400, you’ll also need to include several other documents when applying for citizenship. There are few things all applications will need, plus a few other documents specific to individual cases.

Documents all applicants must send

  1. Your completed form N-400.

  2. A photocopy of your green card (front and back).

  3. 2 identical, passport-style color photographs, with your name and alien registration number (a-number) lightly written on the back of each photo in pencil.

  4. A check or money order for the application fee ($680), payable to the “Department of Homeland Security”.

Supporting documents you might need

Depending on your situation, you may not need to include any of these supporting documents, or you many need to include several. Review the situations below, and double check your eligibility with an attorney to make sure your evidence is sufficient.

If an attorney is representing you

If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send a completed original Form G-28.

If your name has changed

If your current legal name is different from the name on your green card, send the document that legally changed your name. This could be your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document.

If you’ve taken extended trips outside the US

If you have taken any trips outside the United States that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a permanent resident, send an IRS tax return for the last 3 or 5 years and rent/mortgage payments and pay stubs.

If you are applying through marriage to a US citizen

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items:

  • Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years
  • Your current marriage certificate.
  • Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse divorce decrees, annulments, or death certificates.
  • Documents referring to you and your spouse.

For specific examples of what to include, read our guide on citizenship through marriage.

If you were previously married

If you were previously married, send proof that all earlier marriages have ended. This could be a divorce decree, annulment certificate, or death certificate.

If you do not live with your spouse or children

If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send any court or government order to provide financial support. You will also need to include and evidence of your financial support such as:

  • Cancelled checks
  • Money and receipts
  • A court or agency printout of child support payments
  • Evidence of wage garnishments
  • A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children

If you have ever been arrested

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, send an original official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, send an original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction record or acquittal order). If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), send:

  • An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident.

  • Evidence that you completed your sentence. This could be your probation or parole record or evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing or rehabilitative program.

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged or otherwise removed from your record, send an original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction, or an original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like USCIS to consider.

If you have not paid your taxes

If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident, send all correspondence with the IRS regarding your failure to file.

If you have any federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, send:

  • A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe.

  • Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

If you are applying for a disability exception

If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, send an original Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, completed less than 6 months ago by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist.

If you did not register with the Selective Service

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you are male, 26 years old or older, and lived in the United States with an immigrant visa or green card between the ages of 18 and 26, send a "status information letter" from the Selective Service. To read more about these requirements, see our guide on immigrants and Selective Service registration.

If you served in the military

If you are currently in the U.S. military service and are seeking citizenship based on that service, send a completed original Form N-426. For more information, read our guide on citizenship through military service.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer