Written by attorney Guichard St. Surin

Do I owe my ex-spouse child support for the time when I was out of work with no unemployment benefit


Yes. If the child support was already established, that you had to pay, let’s say, $500.00 a month, and you lost your job, and you never went back to the court to inform them of such, then you may still be obligated to pay that $500.00 a month, and all of that money would be added towards your arrears in back pay. Now, if it was involuntary, then the court may not be able to impute the median income to you, but if you are voluntarily unemployed, then the court will still make you pay child support.

Additional resources provided by the author

At the Guardian Law Firm, we believe in the sanctity of marriage. It is our goal to provide you with as many resources to help salvage your marriage. If all else fails, we are here to help you facilitate the divorce process to establish long-term stability that minimizes the need for subsequent court action as well as the emotional drain on the parties and families. We strive to provide the best client service possible in a warm and welcoming environment. To that end, we place a high priority on detail, value, service, and communication, beginning with the initial consultation, and continuing even after the matter is resolved. We are committed to providing the kind of service and environment that we all want as consumers. With representation and the right attorneys in their corner, our clients will return to being the productive citizens and family members they have been and wanted to be again. We truly are here to serve the one. For more information, Please visit our website or schedule a consultation.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer