Written by attorney Christopher Montes de Oca

Dismissal of Criminal Case per Penal Code Section 1203.4 (Formerly Expungement of Criminal Records)

Additional resources provided by the author

Please contact an attorney regarding your conviction that you would like dismissed (expunged). Be advised that not all convictions can be dismissed. Furthermore, this area is very complex and changing, so it is best to seek legal representation to help you with your case. Relief from the civil consequences of an arrest or conviction is governed by the California Constitution and by various statutes. Most forms of relief require some post-judgment action by the court, such as sealing records, vacating convictions, or granting certificates of rehabilitation. Other forms, such as destruction of minor misdemeanor marijuana records, will occur automatically. A pardon requires gubernatorial action. The Department of Justice determines relief related to the posting of sex offender information on the Megan’s Law website. See California Penal Code Section 1203.4.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo DUI email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer