Written by attorney Kevin M. Gaertner

Deferred Prosecution Agreements - Wisconsin - Criminal

First if you are charged with a crime, contact a lawyer immediately.

One of the things a good lawyer can do for you in Wisconsin is negotiate for a Deferred Prosecution Agreement ("DPA"). A DPA calls for the defendant to enter a guilty plea to a charge and then undergo a period of monitoring (usually 6-7 months). If the defendant completes certain tasks (counseling, community service, etc.) then the judgment of conviction is vacated and the matter is dismissed entirely or amended to a municipal citation.

DPA's are normally offered in misdemeanor cases or to first time offenders, though they may be offered in other situations depending on the circumstances.

If the defendant violates the terms of the DPA they will be sentenced as to the crime they pled guilty to. DPA's are not for someone who is falsely accused.

Again, it is important to contact a lawyer to determine if a DPA is available and in your best interests.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer