Written by attorney Jennifer L Keel

Court Approval of Minor's Personal Injury Settlement: Important Questions to Ask Your Attorney

Court approval is sometimes required when the personal injury (including injuries caused by medical malpractice) claim of a minor is settled in Colorado. The process of obtaining court approval of a minor's personal injury is separate from the pursuit of the underlying lawsuit for the minor's injuries, and may not be part of the work your attorney intends to perform for you. Additionally, sometimes the court will require a responsible adult to be appointed as a "conservator" to watch over and protect the child's settlement funds from waste or inappropriate use.

Since your child's case might require these additional steps to be completed after a settlement agreement is reached, you will want to know at the outset whether or not the attorney you hire to handle the underlying injury claim can also assist you with the additional proceedings required after a potential settlement.

Thus, when choosing counsel to represent your injured child in a claim for physical injuries, here are a few questions you need to ask:

  • Will a settlement on my child's claim require Court approval?

  • If so, is obtaining Court approval of a possible settlement included in the work you intend to do for my child?

  • Is the value of my child's claim likely to be above the threshold for requiring the appointment of a conservator to manage my child's settlement funds?

  • What are the requirements for a conservator? Can I be my child's conservator?

  • Will I (or my child) be charged additional money for the additional service of obtaining court approval of the settlement or petitioning for appointment of a conservator?

  • Have you successfully obtained court approval of a minor's personal injury settlement in the past?

  • Do you have experience in petitioning for the appointment of a conservator?

  • How long does it take to obtain court approval?

  • What involvement will the court and/or court-appointed conservator have in the continuing management of my child's settlement proceeds?

Choosing an attorney is an important task for anyone who has a claim for medical negligence or personal injury--but it is especially important when you are making the choice on behalf of someone else, such as a minor child, who relies on you to make good choices for them.

If this article was helpful to you, please let me know by giving it a "thumbs up" at the bottom of the article.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo personal injury email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer