Written by attorney Katrin Eleonore Falco

College Costs for Non Custodial Parent

In addition to a basic child support obligation, a parent may be required to contribute towards college expenses. Even when an agreement is silent, it would require a modification petition or even just a petition for college expenses to be filed. This can be done in family court. The court will make a determination as to whether or not a contribution is required by considering the educational background of the parties, the aptitude of the child, and the financial circumstances of each of you.

Some things to consider when you are in the court and you are possibly required to contribute to college, the possibility of setting a cap on the amount of tuition you may pay. Oftentimes, you will see this done by establishing a cap based upon SUNY tuition, here in New York. The other thing that would be considered is whether or not the basic child support obligation, which includes shelter expenses, should be reduced as a result of room and board expenses that you would now be contributing to.

If you have children and are considering a separation or divorce, one of the most important decisions you will have is how your children will be raised and cared for. This is difficult in an intact marriage; when parents are going through the emotional trauma of marital dissolution, this issue can become explosive. Jean M. Mahserjian, Esq., P.C. understands the complexity of the legal and human issues attached to child custody. We can help you obtain a complete custody arrangement that meets the individual needs of your children and addresses the unique circumstances of your family.

Jean M. Mahserjian, Esq., is a New York family law and divorce attorney in Albany, Saratoga, and the surrounding areas. For more than 20 years, Jean has maintained her capital region law firm, located on Route 9 in Clifton Park, New York. The practice encompasses all areas of family and matrimonial law, and an online uncontested divorce service.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer