Written by attorney Wendy Ha Chau

Claims Against Public Entities In California

Additional resources provided by the author

SMALL CLAIMS: If you want to file a small claims action against a public entity must first file the claim with the public entity. [GC §945.4.] For example, a claim for personal injury or property damage must be presented no later than six months after the action accrued. A claim for any other cause of action must be presented no later than one year after accrual. [GC §911.2(a).] If the claim is denied, the court case must be commenced within six months of the notice of denial. [GC §945.6(a)(1).] If the claim is deemed denied by the public entity's inaction [see GC §912.4(c)], the court case must be commenced within two years from when the cause of action accrued. [GC §945.6(a)(2).] Small Claims is only for damage of $5,000 and below. No more than $5,000: You can sue public entity in small claims if our claim is $5,000 or lower: Here is a pdf link to how to file it in small claims:

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo personal injury email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer