Written by attorney James CW Bock

Out-of-Wedlock Children: Paternity vs. Child Support

Children born out-of-wedlock are under the sole legal custody of the mother, regardless of what friends, family and others say. This is confirmed by a 2001 U.S. Supreme Court case. To have custodial rights as a father in this situation, you MUST take affirmative action beyond paying child support.

Additional resources provided by the author

The State of Wisconsin, through the Executive Branch's Wisconsin Department of Children and Families has helpful websites. In addition, the Judicial Branch has a number of "Family Law" forms for pro se litigants. Neither published assistance will provide all the answers sought, and in many cases will only further confuse new unwed parents and/or expecting parties concerning their rights and responsibilities. It is strongly suggested that putative fathers and unwed mothers seek the confidential advise from a Wisconsin licensed attorney specializing is Paternity, Custody and Placement. My office specializes in these areas and is happy to speak with any potential client in the State of Wisconsin.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer