Skip to main content

Child Support Modification: Is it Possible to Adjust the Payments?

Generally, it is the responsibility of the non-custodial parent to make child support payments to the custodial parent and is either pursuant to a judicially recognized stipulation between the parties or by court order after a hearing or trial. Child support may include unreimbursed medical costs and education for the children in common and may be established as a part of a divorce action, or if the parents were never married, in a support proceeding in Family Court.

Additional resources provided by the author

New York State Courts provides tools to assist in determining child support.

Rate this guide

Recommended articles about Child support

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer